Before you sign a document, you need to draw a signature field where the signature is placed, get a digital ID, and create the signature.
To create a signature, do the following steps:
- Click the Sign button in the left Navigation Pane.
- Once the Sign pane opens up, click on the +Digitally Sign option.
- Drag a rectangular shape to a place in the document, where you want your signature to be positioned.
The following dialog box opens up where you can specify several signature settings:
- Sign As – Choose the certificate with which you are going to sign the document;
- Reason for signing the document;
- Lock the document after signing;
- Leave additional contact info (which is optional).
- After you specify the necessary information, click on the Confirm button.
- Save the PDF file so your signature can be saved.
If you cannot obtain a certificate from a third-party CA, you can create a new certificate within CovePDF.
To create an entirely new certificate, follow these steps:
- Click on the Sign button in the left Toolbar.
- Go to the + Digitally Sign option.
- Draw a rectangular shape to the position in the page where you want the signature to be displayed.
- From the Choose Certificate dialog, click on the Create new certificate option.
- A new dialog opens up, where you set the information for the new certificate, such as: Name, E-mail, Organizational Unit, Organization Name, Country and which key algorithm shall be used (RSA 1024/RSA 2048).
- To finish the process, click on the Create button.
Note: You cannot sign a document while you are signed in for collaboration purposes.